A Mass may be offered for the living or for the dead, and this has been the practice since the Church's first days. . . Catholics remember their beloved at the Lord's altar by offering their Masses -- their reception of Holy Communion -- for someone's specific intentions, such as thanksgiving, conversion, physical healing, to honor that person on a special day, the releasing of souls from Purgatory, etc. They do this by simple prayer before or after Mass, such as "I offer this Mass for the benefit of my sick friend." And Catholics more formally ask a priest to offer Mass for their cause. These more formal offerings are called "Mass intentions."
(From "Mass Intentions," by Fish Eaters)
Per Canon Law, the Holy Mass is offered once each Sunday and Holy Day for the people of our parish. If you would like to have a Mass said on behalf of a loved one (living or deceased) or a special intention, please contact the Parish Office at [email protected] or 651-439-4400:
Intentions for Each Mass
- Our priests consult the official listing of intentions in the sacristy before the Holy Mass begins. The priest's intent to offer the Holy Mass for this intention is what constitutes the primary intention of each Mass (regardless of what is or is not mentioned or inadvertently misread in the Prayers of the Faithful.)
- The suggested stipend per Mass is $7-10. We accept checks (made out to St. Mary's Church or The Church of St. Michael), cash, or online donations. Please note, the inability to offer a stipend will not prevent anyone from requesting a Mass intention.
Healing Masses for the Sick
- The Holy Mass is offered each First Friday of the month for the sick of our parishes. If you have the permission of a loved one to add their name to this list, please contact Mrs. Jackie Valerius, Pastoral Minister, at 651-379-1266.
- Due to the high volume of requests received, Mass intentions are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- For donations received in honor of a newly deceased loved one, up to 6-8 Masses may be reserved in one calendar year. There are likely to be additional Masses gifted by family and friends for your loved one. Please consider spreading these Masses out into the next calendar year.
- When offering Masses for special dates of multiple family members, each family may request 6-10 intentions per year. This measure helps us honor requests made daily for healing Masses or newly deceased.
Please note, many religious orders also receive Mass requests for the intentions of the laity. Contact the Parish Office for more information at [email protected] or 651-439-4400.