St. Michael'sCatholic Church

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
You may notice changes to our webpages as we work diligently to make improvements and updates. Questions? Please contact the Parish Office at 651-439-4400.

History

Our parish history begins in 1849 when early missionaries held Masses in Stillwater homes. The Church of St. Michael, one of the oldest parishes in Minnesota, has a long and rich tradition from its early days as a community of Irish immigrants working in the thriving lumbering city of Stillwater.

 

Bishop Joseph Cretin sent the young Rev. Daniel Fisher to establish a parish on the banks of the St. Croix River in the summer of 1853. He brought together the parish community of St. Michael's, built a church, and carried the Catholic faith throughout the region. On August 15, 1875, Bishop Thomas L. Grace dedicated the church, which finally reached completion on September 29, 1875, the Feast of St. Michael.

 

Fourteen priests succeeded Fr. Fisher pastor, each contributing to the physical and spiritual development of the community. Many of the founding families are still present in the community nearly ten generations later.

 

Through more than 150 years, generations of the faithful have gathered, day after day and year after year, to know, love, and serve our Lord Jesus Christ. We are a vibrant parish family, proud of our heritage, and grateful for the many gifts our Lord has bestowed upon this community.

 

Pastors

Fr. Daniel J. Fisher (1853-1855)
Fr. Thomas McManus (1855, 1859-1860)
Fr. Thomas Murray (1855-1859, 1860-1869)
Fr. Maurice E. Murphy (1870-1891)
Fr. Charles E. Corcoran (1891-1943)
Fr. Daniel MacCarthy (1943-1955)
Fr. Francis J. Miller (1956-1968)
Fr. Richard V. Berg (1969-1977)
Fr. Thomas Fitzgerald (1977-1987)

Fr. Robert Patterson (1987-1989)

Fr. John Szarke (1990-1991)
Fr. Michael Skluzacek (1992-2004)
Fr. John LeVoir (2004-2008; Ordained Bishop September 15, 2008)
Fr. Michael Miller (2008-2015)
Fr. Michael Izen (2015-Present)

 

Learn more about St. Michael's and the people who helped build our parish:

 

Parish Timeline

Centennial History Article

Fr. Corcoran’s Historic Homily

 

History